[NBLUG/talk] Permissions question

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Fri Oct 17 14:34:00 PDT 2003

UNIX mantra states that the user/group ownership/permissions on a
directory dictate the access and permissions to the subdirectories and
files under it.

There is no way poor brianpics can chdir into his home dir when he logs
in because the permissions on /home/httpd dir restrict him from changing
to his home dir.  You have 3 or more choices...

1.  Move his home dir to a more compliant place in the filesystem.
2.  Add him to the adm group.
3.  Change ownership && || perms on the /home/httpd dir.

May I suggest you take a look at the Linux Filesystem Hierarchy Standard
and the Linux Security HOWTO - Files and Filesystem Security.