[NBLUG/talk] changeing line breaks.

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Sun Oct 19 17:47:00 PDT 2003

On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 05:32:52PM -0700, Micxz wrote:
}
} In my small home network I have samba setup and I usually edit my files
} in vi or from a pipe in my shell. Anyhow I want to know how I can
} quickly on the command line edit the return characters so they will work
} in windows for say notepad? My girlfriend looks at the files I created
} an sees, "a little vertical standing rectangle" in place of every return
} on newline in linux.

I don't know what distribution you have but look for "todos" or
"unix2dos".  The inverse fucntions are "fromdos" and "dos2unix.  On my
debian machine there is only one binary, "fromdos" and the others are
symlinks to it.  see "man fromdos".  The man page also calls it
"tofrodos".  RedHat seems to have "dos2unix" and "unix2dos".

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com