[NBLUG/talk] Email Archiving

Jeremy Turner jeremy at linuxwebguy.com
Wed Oct 22 17:12:01 PDT 2003

Hello All,

I've used multiple email clients on multiple platforms with multiple email
accounts over the past several years, and invariably I think, "Hmm, where
did I put that email?" or "Wouldn't it be nice if I still had that email
from so-and-so?"

I could just use Courier-IMAP and be over with it, but I'd rather not have
a large amount of email to be locally cached on to each machine or
operating system I might use.  I'd also like something that is very easy
to backup and restore in case of a hardware failure (which happened to me
earlier this year, and I was not prepared).

The thought crossed my mind about using a html-generator to archive my
email.  This could be searchable, and pretty fast load times across the
Internet (dependent on the connection).  HTML files would be very easy to
include on backups, and easy to restore from the last backup point.

Has anyone thought or implemented something like this?  If so, what have
you done?  If not, how do you deal with archiving/backing up email?

Jeremy

Jeremy Turner - jeremy at linuxwebguy.com
The LinuxWebGuy