[NBLUG/talk] Debian and kernel upgrades

Jeremy Turner jeremy at linuxwebguy.com
Sun Oct 26 17:27:00 PST 2003

On Sun, 2003-10-26 at 16:46, Steve Johnson wrote:
> Can you upgrade the kernel via apt-get or is it just best to download
> the source for kernel.org and compile by hand?

I upgrade my kernels from apt-get because it's the least hassle.

I think it's basically a personal preference.  If you want to take the
time and compile everything by hand, you're free to do that.  If you
know your hardware is not going to change ever, you can remove devices
that you don't need.  This is probably better because (as a general
rule) the less you have in your system, the less is available for some
local user to try to execute buffer overflows, etc, on your system.  In
other words, if you don't need it, don't include it.

That said, the only kernel I've really compiled was for a work PowerPC
G4 that had SCSI hard drives and I couldn't get an initrd image built
for.

However, my home machine gets its kernels via apt-get.

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Turner <jeremy at linuxwebguy.com>
The LinuxWebGuy