[NBLUG/talk] IBM Terminal keyboard in Linux?

Kyle Rankin greenfly at greenfly.net
Thu Sep 4 11:22:00 PDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 02:40:05AM -0700, Justin Thiessen wrote:

> Heya,
>
> I'd be very interested to hear if you have any luck, since I have a similar
> keyboard that I'd like to use.  You can read my limited experiences with it
> below, but my main advice is just to rig up a cable and give it a shot.
> Hopefully you can buy everything you need to solder/crimp one at HSC.  I
> thought maybe that I could just bring you one of my later-style IBM model M
> keyboard cables to try (which has an RJ-45 style connector on the keyboard
> end), but the connector is apparently 6-pin, rather than 8.

I have quite a collection of Model Ms at this point (3, including my
wife's, ya know, when you find a woman who enjoys buckling spring as much
as you do, you've really found something :) )  and they all have the
detachable cable with the RJ45-ish connector going into the keyboard, but
this terminal keyboard has the cable built into the base.  What I think I
might do to ease things (and so I don't have to cut or otherwise damage the
cable itself) is to go to HSC and pick up a regular female RJ45 connector
and wire it all up.