[NBLUG/talk] XFree86 4.3 -- I'm trapped in an upgrade vortex!

Dave Sisley dsisley at arczip.com
Sat Sep 6 21:54:00 PDT 2003

On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 12:43:49PM -0700, Ron Wickersham wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Sep 2003, Dave Sisley wrote:
>
> ---snip---
>
> > AUDIT: Sat Sep  6 09:33:18 2003: 4002 X: client 5 rejected from local host
>
> looking over the logs it appears that X server is starting ok...well you
> did report BSOW.
>
> so i think it must be a red-hatism that the login client expects the
> X server to be something other than localhost (perhaps the hostname???)
>
> a quick look in the Green Book (Evi Nemeth, et.al) shows the config
> file for initial X11 environment .xinitrc is replaced in red had with
> .Xclients.  so looking there might reveal something.
>
> -ron

Looking in my /etc/X11/xinit directory, I see both an xinitrc and an Xclient
script.  As far as I know, the dot versions (.xinitrc & .Xclients) are
supposed to live in the user's home directory, but I think my problem is more
global.  By this I mean that I am not even given the opportunity to log in,
so the system doesn't know which user dir to even look in.

I'm still stumped.

-dave.