[NBLUG/talk] "Capture Applications on screen in X"

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed Sep 10 02:32:01 PDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 11:44:29PM -0700, ME wrote:
> Someone asked at this last meeting how to get stuff scraped of the screen
> as images with the GIMP.

In Gimp's toolbox, under "File" there's an "Aquire" submenu.
This includes a screenshot option.
(Also, on my systems here at home, they include a scanner (XSANE dialog) option.)

And as Ron mentioned, XV does a good job (although it's not "Free" software with
a capital 'F')

"xwd" is another typical one.  Beware, it spits its output to STDOUT, so you'll
want to redirect it to a file, lest your terminal get barfed on! ;^)

  $ xwd > mygrab.xwd

> Such a feature is usually part of the OS.

In Sawfish, one can probably create a screenshot keyboard shortcut by
writing a small shell script to take a screenshot (and save it to a unique
file, say, in your home directory or Gnome desktop).  See the "Run Shell Command"
command in the "Edit Binding" window that comes up when you go to add a new
keyboard shortcut.

In KDE 3.0, under the control panel, in "Regional & Accessibility", there's
also a "Keyboard Shortcuts" section.

In fact, on my system (KDE 3 backported to Debian Woody), there's already a
"Desktop Screenshot" command which is bound to "Ctrl + PrintScreen"
(in the "Global Shortcuts" tab, under the "Miscellaneous" grouping)

:^)

Enjoy!

-bill!

--