[NBLUG/talk] hsf softmodem trouble

Dave Sisley dsisley at arczip.com
Sat Sep 13 06:56:02 PDT 2003

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 10:43:44PM -0700, Micxz Love (lovedialup.com) wrote:
> Can you pick up the phone and dial "5081185" do you get a modem answer
> on the other side?
>

> --
> Micxz

Micxz:

Yes, I can call up my ISP and get a modem to answer.  I forgot to add in my
original post:

The modem never even seems to pick up the phone.  If I start the call
('/sbin/ifup ppp0') and then go pick up the phone, there's still a dial tone.
I know the computer is connected to the wall because I can dial out with this
modem using <shudder> windows.

And thanks for your other post pointing to Linxant's HSF faq, but I've already
been there.  I'm taking another look, but I don't see a faq that directly
applies.

Now that I take another look, this one looks interesting:

~~~~~~~~~
13.
The modem disconnects or the system crashes as soon as or shortly after
I start the graphical desktop (X, GNOME, KDE, etc..) or use the sound card.

Some users have reported conflicts between certain sound card drivers,
(especially AC97 devices) and our modem drivers. Most graphical desktops
access sound devices when starting up.

We are investigating these problems and are hoping to find solutions soon.
Meanwhile, we recommend disabling any conflicting modules while you use the
modem. If you experience a conflict, please report it.

Apparantly, I have one of these AC97 devices, but the faq doesn't exactly
describe my situation.  I'm not even sure how to turn it off -- I will try
again (when my wife wakes up - it's in the bedroom) and see that the modem
volume is set to 'off'.

-dave.