[NBLUG/talk] How do I get RH to recognize wireless card?

Dave Sisley dsisley at arczip.com
Fri Sep 19 20:23:00 PDT 2003

Wow.  Thanks for the detailed response, Mark.  I've interwoven my
comments in with yours, below:

> 1.  Download the source from sourceforge.
> http://atmelwlandriver.sourceforge.net/

done.  I'm using atmelwlandriver.2.1.2.2

> 2.  Unpack the source, go into the dir and type;  make config

done.

> 3.  Answer YES to pcmcia and pcm502rd questions ONLY for the pcmcia
      drivers.
hmmm.... here's the question/answers I got:
[root at localhost atmelwlandriver]# make config
Build all [y/N] : n
Set extra module version information [y/N] : n
Build Debug version [y/N] : n
Build USB Drivers [y/N] : n
Build PCMCIA Drivers [y/N] : y
Build PCMCIA rfmd Driver [y/N] : y
Build PCMCIA 3COM Driver [y/N] : y
Build PCMCIA rfmd revision d Driver [y/N] : y
Build PCMCIA rfmd revision e Driver [y/N] : y
Build PCMCIA 504 Driver [y/N] : y
Build miniPCI Driver [y/N] : y
Build applications [y/N] : n

I went ahead and asked for all the drivers, since the one you
specifically mention was not there (was that stupid?)

> 4.  Check out the .config file that is generated from make config.  Make sure
> the line
> PCMCIA_DES points to your kernel's module dir like so...
>
> /lib/modules/2.4.20"MYKERNELVERSION"/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
> save .config and exit.

After 'make config', the .config file has the following line:
PCMCIA_DES = /lib/modules/2.4.20-20.8/pcmcia

but I've edited it to look like your line:
PCMCIA_DES = /lib/modules/2.4.20-20.8/kernel/drivers/net/wireless

> 5.  Run;   make all
> if OK, then run;  make install
>
> compiles and installs drivers.

Okay.

> 6.  Now we need to tell pcmcia about our wireless card.
> edit /etc/pcmcia/atmel.conf and add a line to the end something like this, you
> may have to look at the docs or google around for that card:
>
> Belkin F5D6020u (ver.2) WLAN PC Card
> manfid 0x01bf, 0x3302
> bind "pcmf502rd"

Okay.  I added it to the end of the file.

> 7.  Now we need a script to define the interface now that we have the proper
> module for the hardware and pcmcia is configured to recognize the card and
> bring it up... we hope.
>
> From the Docs
> ---------------------
> PCMCIA :
>                  - Edit the ATMEL WIRELESS entry in
>                    /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts by adding your preferences
>                    off channel, essid, encryption etc.
> ---------------------
> you can do this here or in your interface definition.  your choice.
>
> edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 or whatever name you want to
> give the interface, I use ifcfg-wlan0... whatever.
>
> DEVICE=wlan0
> BOOTPRO=dhcp  put STATIC here if you want to assign a static IP to this
> interface
> ONBOOT=no  - put YES here if you want it to come up on boot
> #  These are pretty much required to keep a bit of security
> WIRELESS_MODE=Managed
> WIRELESS_ESSID= YOUR SSID NAME
> WIRELESS_FREQ= YOUR SSID CHANNEL, Usually 1 or 6 or whatever
> WIRELESS_RATE=11M
> WIRELESS_ENC_KEY= YOUR 128bit key here.
> ###
>
> Here is my ifcfg-wlan0 take what you want from it, I have Linksys card prism 3
> chipset, I use wlan-ng packages to manage mine, which is slightly different.
>
> DEVICE=wlan0
> ONBOOT=no
> #BOOTPROTO=dhcp                # change this to static to specify an IP addr
> IPADDR=192.168.1.3
> GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> NETWORK=192.168.1.0
> BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
> TYPE=Ethernet
> USERCTL=yes
> #PEERDNS=yes                   # this lets DHCP define the DNS setup

The above part is the most confusing.  I don't understand some of
these entries.  I assume that the numerical addresses in the above
sample are inappropriate for my machine, but how do I figure out which
ones to use?

For the hell of it, I decided to try the script with the above numbers
left in.

> 8.  Restart pcmcia service and see if the card comes up
>
> service pcmcia restart
>
> If you hear two high pitch beeps we are good to go, if you hear high and a
> low, NO go.  TWO HIGH  Then type

hey! 2 high beeps!

> service network restart .....  if you have the interface come up on boot.
>
> If not  ONBOOT=no you can enter
>
> ifup wlan0

ok ok ok....

> Now, run ifconfig and see if the interface is up.

okokokokokokokokokok

> Laugh or cry......

waaaaaaaah!

nothing but 'lo' !  Damn!  I *am* getting closer... I can smell it!

Thanks again for the help Mark (& everyone else!).  Take a look at my
notes and let me know if you see anything that I could tweak.

-dave.