[NBLUG/talk] Configuring sshd

Dave Sisley dsisley at arczip.com
Sun Sep 21 20:56:01 PDT 2003

Hey.  My current question still concerns my wireless network troubles,
but I'm starting a new thread because I have made some progress and I
am now experiencing a better quality of error message.

As far as I can tell, I actually have the wireless cards in my laptop
and desktop properly configured.  Now it's time to get the two
machines to talk to one another.  That means ssh, right?

I can ping my new network, but i can not ssh into the other machine.
The error message is as follows:

ssh: connect to address 192.168.0.100 port 22: Connection refused

As far as I can determine, sshd is running on the desktop (the machine
to which I want to ssh).   It just won't let me in.

I have added this line to the desktop's hosts.allow file:  'sshd :
ALL'

I've read the man pages for ssh and sshd_config, and I'm not sure what
to do.  I had an sshd_config file that was mostly #'d out, and I
uncommented a few lines that I thought would help, but of course they
didn't.  The lines referred to the ssh protocol (2), the port number
on which to listen (22), and a few others that seemed innocent enough.

I've googled, but haven't found a good, basic source for setting up
sshd on my machine.  Is there something simple I could do, or does
someone know of a good URL that I should read?  Or is my entire
approach incorrect?

Thanks in advance.

-dave