[NBLUG/talk] Install fest: wireless Debian

ME dugan at passwall.com
Fri Sep 26 14:10:03 PDT 2003

When new cards do not seem to work with a Linux Distro, there are usually
a few things that can be checked:
* Unlikely: there is a configuration issue with pcmcia-cs that will permit
you to fix the config problem and have it work. Usually with PCMCIA-CS,
things just seem to "work" and the hardware is available for use, or they
do not work (and won't unless support for the hardware is better in later
version.)
* Does the vendor provide a more recent PCMCIA-CS package? If so install
it. There is a good chance that your card may be supported (better) with
new versions of pcmcia-cs.
* Is there a version of pcmcia-cs available that you can download and
build from source that includes support for your card-- support not found
in the latest version of pcmcia-cs from your distro. (Check the
HCL/Supported hardware listing for the latest version to see:
http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/SUPPORTED.CARDS

If you wish to build by hand, you will at a minimum need a compiler (gcc)
and the kernel header files that match the kernel you are running. I
*think* that pcmcia-cs requires you to have a copy of the *configured*
kernel source used to build your running kernel too/instead, but I amnot
certain on this point right now. Assuming this is an issue, there may be
ways around this, but it has been a long time since I had problems with
it.

I guess you could always bring it to the installfest and see if
interactive support will yeild answers.

-ME