[NBLUG/talk] Install fest: wireless Debian

Jeremy Turner jeremy at linuxwebguy.com
Sat Sep 27 12:14:02 PDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 09:48, Robert Hayes wrote:
> Greetings, Earthlings,
>
> I have a Presario laptop with several different 802 PC cards available.
> I haven't had any success in getting them to work under Debian (2.4).
> Is anyone going to be at the Installfest who has experienced this feat? (Troy:
> hint, hint)

I stick with the standard cards as much as possible.  The cards I've
used (Cisco 340/350, IBM High Rate WiFi aka Orrinoco) have worked
flawlessly.

With Debian, I would recommend installing a stock kernel with the stock
pcmcia modules for the kernel.  It might also require installing the
wlan-ng drivers, depending on which card you have.

Additionally, you can configure networking on a wireless card through
the regular /etc/network/interfaces card, rather than some conf file:

-- A snip from my /etc/network/interfaces file --
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
        pre-up "/sbin/iwconfig" eth0 essid my_essid
        pre-up "/sbin/iwconfig" eth0 key my_key_goes_here....
-- End snip --

You'll also need the wireless-utils package for the iwconfig, etc
binaries for configuring the wireless card.

Hope that helps,

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Turner <jeremy at linuxwebguy.com>