[NBLUG/talk] Open SSH host config prob

ShadowEyez shadoweyez at hotpop.com
Mon Sep 29 19:22:00 PDT 2003

RH 8.0, kernel 2.4.18-14, OpenSsh 3.6.2 complied from binary
Playing around with OpenSsh, trying to connect to Sonic (the shell.sonic.net server).  I can connect normally with the command $ ssh -l <username> shell.sonic.net and it works, but when I try to modify the /etc/ssh/ssh_config (host config file for ssh) the file does not seem to take effect.  For instance, I tried a new Host declaration to shell.sonic.net, with the User (username) so that I do not have to type the user name in every time, but it did not work.  Even putting this User under the general Host * did not work; after typing the command $ ssh shell.sonic.net it prompted me for root at shell.sonic.net's password rather than my user name password.  I know sonic doesn't accept SSHv2 connections (why not... another topic) but has anyone messed around with the /etc/ssh_config file to any degree of success?

TIA
ShadowEyez
shadoweyez at hotpop.com