[NBLUG/talk] Linux on Laptops

Steve Johnson srj at adnd.com
Sun Apr 18 08:31:41 PDT 2004

On Sun, Apr 18, 2004 at 01:08:24AM -0700, Mark Street wrote:
> I have one of the Inspiron 5100's too with a 2.4Ghz P4, 384M RAM - Radeon 7600
> video and it kicks.
>
> I think I may burn my leg very soon though, the damn thing has a really bad
> heat problem (very good in winter though... it keeps you warm).  They didn't
> design them very well for case ventilation.  I sit mine on cool packs while
> compiling a kernel so the damn thing doesn't turn off.  I always have to
> stand the case up on a desk or work surface or the heat buildup will cause it
> to shutdown after a short time.

Wow, mine doesn't over heat, I have never had it shut off due to heat.
 But it does seem to get pretty warm at times.

I saw these cool fan systems at the computer show about a year ago
that you sit under you laptop, and it is suposed to help keep it cool, I
wonder if this would help out.

-Steve

> On Saturday 17 April 2004 11:21 pm, Steve Johnson wrote:
> > I don't know anything about the thinpads, but.. the 1100 series from
> > dell from what I've seen have real crapy video cards (no memory, uses
> > system memory for video).  So I personaly would stay away from them.
> >
> > I have a Dell Inspiron 5100, and I love it, has a great video card in it
> > (ATI Rage 7600 I think, 32megs) and I've run Knoppoix on it with out any
> > problems, everything just worked.  I allso seem to remember seeing a
> > post from another nblug user who installed linux on his 5100.
> >
> > My 5100, is a 2.6Ghz P4 (Not Mobile, and not centrino) and has 256M of
> > ram. (needs more IMHO) but it runs nice and fast.  I do plan
> > on putting Debian on it real soon now.
>
> --
> Mark Street, D.C.
> Red Hat Certified Engineer
> Cert# 807302251406074
> --
> Key fingerprint = 3949 39E4 6317 7C3C 023E  2B1F 6FB3 06E7 D109 56C0
> GPG key http://www.streetchiro.com/pubkey.asc

----
      "Knowing others is wisdom, knowing your self is Enlightenment."
                                                   -- Lao-Tzu