[NBLUG/talk] Linux on Laptops

Meg Holden megymonster at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 18 23:28:38 PDT 2004

I don't know much about the 1100s but I have an Inspiron 8200 that I
recently put Debian on and it mostly worked fine eventually. I did have
problems with setting the screen right, with the display on that
laptop, any setting other than 1600X1200 results in the screen size
being smaller, and so that resolution is a bit hard an the eyes, but
manageable.  But that's just this Model and Debian, other distros and
Dell Models might work better.

Also on the quality of the machine, I know Dells have a good reputation
but I've had mine for about a year and a half and it's gone back to
them twice for repairs, and it's not doing too well again, it will
probably need to go back to them again soon...something to keep in mind
if your buying used with no kind of warranty.  It also runs a bit hot
and has shut down on my a few times when I left it on all day, but not
since it's repairs.

Good Luck
-Meg