[NBLUG/talk] Wireless Card Setup

Bryce Hardy cygnia at sonic.net
Tue Apr 27 12:17:05 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 27 April 2004 10:01 am, Augie Schwer wrote:

> What kind of information is YAST asking for?

Module Name--manufacturer's website implies the answer to that;
Options for the above--no clue;
Whether it's a PCMCIA device or not--no clue;
Operating Mode, with five choices--manufacturer's website implies the answer:
Network Name (ESSID)--retrieved from the router's web interface;
Netword Identifier (NWID)--no clue;
Encryption Key--retrieved from the web interface, but in a format that doesn't
match the input fields;
Nickname--no clue;
Network Address Setup: whether to use DHCP automatic addressing or static
IP--I assume the former but could be wrong;
Default Gateway--no clue about that;
DHCP Client Identifier--ditto.

All of these are intertwined in several layers of nested dialogues, each with
their own mini sub-options and so on. I'm kind of lost here.

I haven't tried to run a wire, since I don't have an ethernet port on this
older box, so it's either the wireless card or an ethernet card and I already
bought the former. BTW it's a Belkin Wireless Desktop Network Card, Model
F5D6001. The website has a Linux page with hard for non-techies like me to
understand instructions. Thanks for your responses.

--
Bryce Hardy (Santa Rosa, CA)
cygnia at sonic.net