[NBLUG/talk] Overly Sensitive Mouse /Debian Sarge 2.6

orsini orsini at sonic.net
Mon Aug 9 22:11:21 PDT 2004

Today I installed Debain Sarge at work (with the slick new installer)
and mostly everything when smooth. The only problem is that my mouse
(M$ Trackball Explorer) has become a bit touchy. When I click to open
a terminal, it will pop open two. At first I thought this was some
tripped out configuration (XFree86conf) but then I noticed that if I
very carefully click on a launch icon, I can almost ensure that only
one 'thing' opens as I intended with each click.

Gnome has a setting in 'Mouse Preferences' called Sensitivity which
seems to have something to do with this touchiness (I think) but it
is listed under 'Speed' which make me a little confused about what it
is supposed to adjust. So, what is it that I'm debugging here. Is it
a 2.6 kernel thing, a XFree86 thing, a Gnome thing? Just not sure
where to poke.

Taking a random guess, I think it has something to do with the 2.6
kernel. (Who knows why I chose 'linux26' when I just monkey with text
files all day but that's what I did.)

Cheers,
Rob