[NBLUG/talk] backup

troy fryman at sonic.net
Thu Aug 12 19:59:39 PDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 07:37:03PM -0700, Nat W wrote:
> Ok I have a quick question (well sorta quick),
>

>             I use both windows and Linux, Linux is on a laptop, and
> Microsoft xp is on my desktop machine. My documents is about 5 Gbs and I
> need to keep it synced on both windows and Linux. When I tired to just copy
> everything over it didn't like that too much. So I was wondering if there
> was a command / script I could use to compare the two directories, and if
> there were any differences copy over the files?

<http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/>

"Unison is a file-synchronization tool for Unix and Windows."

"Unlike simple mirroring or backup utilities, Unison can deal with
updates to both replicas of a distributed directory structure. Updates
that do not conflict are propagated automatically. Conflicting updates
are detected and displayed."

I used to use it to sync my zaurus; it's a cool tool.

-troy