[NBLUG/talk] Recovering data from a failing hard disk

Mitch Patenaude mrp at sonic.net
Mon Aug 23 18:29:25 PDT 2004

I don't think dd is as useful a tool as other's apparently do.  It does
one thing
well: block i/o, usually to/from raw devices.  Using it to move regular
files
around is, if anything, worse than just using cp.  dd is ignorant of
things like
sparse files, symlinks, permissions, yada yada.

Here's what I'd recommend:

cd /old/disk; find . -print0 | cpio -pdmv0 /new/disk/

Note: it's vital that find print the names relative to the mount point
of the old drive.

This will preserve symlinks, permissions, ownership, etc.

   -- Mitch