[NBLUG/talk] Networking quirks

Bob Blick bblick at sonic.net
Wed Aug 25 09:57:28 PDT 2004

I just replaced my wireless router with a newer model(Netgear WGR101), and
a strange thing is happening. For everything external I am getting a 5-10
second delay, like something is timing out. It acts almost like it's a
nameserver issue, in that if I do a "route" there's a delay before the
results are given. "route-n" gives me immediate results, and the routing
table is correct.

Strangely, if I ping something, I get this immediately:
PING ted.net (64.71.171.44) 56(84) bytes of data.
and then a long delay before I actually get the first ping. So it got the
address it was pinging right away, the delay is for something else.

The wireless router is defined as the nameserver and it's using
sonic.net's servers.

I have two clues:

If I define sonic's nameserver as the nameserver, no delays.

If I reboot into Windows, no delays. Windows is showing the router as the
nameserver.

I see there's a newer firmware available for the router, I think I'll try
that.

Any suggestions as to what tools I can use to diagnose this issue?

Thanks,

Bob