[NBLUG/talk] Networking quirks

Bob Blick bblick at sonic.net
Wed Aug 25 14:32:56 PDT 2004

>> when I ping with a domain name, the first line containing the
>> resolved
>> address shows up immediately, but then there's 5-10 seconds until the
>> first ping response. That's why this seems weird, it got the ip address
>> instantly.
>
> Right, but then ping (which is a newer ping under Linux) does a reverse
> lookup.  It appears that, for some reason, your router isn't handling
> reverse lookups very well.

Hi Scott,

I think you're on to something here - because the output from a "route" is
like this:
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.0.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
link-local      *               255.255.0.0     U     0      0        0 eth0
loopback        *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo
default         192.168.0.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

There's a delay after "Iface" and an extra delay before the final line -
all of these are reverse lookups, and the router is choking on them.

I'm not in front of it right now, when I get home I'll dig a little deeper.

Cheerful regards,

Bob