[NBLUG/talk] No password on samba share?

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Fri Dec 3 15:13:13 PST 2004

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 02:43:17PM -0800, David wrote:
> I know this is mostly a samba issue, but I'll post here as well. Small home
> network with a gentoo linux system running the samba server 3
>
> I've set up a user 'foobar' on the linux box, put it in the smbpasswd
> database, and every time the users in windows try to access the share, they
> always get the user/password prompt in windows. In the global section of
> /etc/samba/smb.conf file I have tried secruity = user, secruity = share,
> guest account=foobar, and in the "storage" share definition I have force
> user=foobar, writeable=yes, browsable=yes, but in windows the users still
> have to enter a username/password.
>
> BTW, this machine does not have an X server and I am not using SWAT to setup
> the smb.conf file. The overall objective is to get every windows box on the
> network to have full read/write on the share with out entering
> usernames/passwords every time they need to access the share.

Here's what I have for my 'incoming' folder:

[incoming]
    comment = Incoming
    path = /pub/incoming
    username = nobody
    force user = nobody
    force group = nogroup
    read only = No
    create mask = 0777
    force directory mode = 0777
    inherit permissions = Yes
    guest only = Yes
    hosts allow = 192.168.

I think the directive you are missing is 'guest only = Yes'
I use security = user, BTW.

hth
-troy