[NBLUG/talk] Linux for my grand kid's computer

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Sat Dec 11 16:44:14 PST 2004

On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 04:19:40PM -0800, Troy Arnold wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 03:48:00PM -0800, Kyle Rankin wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 03:42:26PM -0800, Todd Cary wrote:
> > > By the way, I have heard that there is a way to install Knoppix on the
> > > HD; is that true?
> > >
> > Yes, open a terminal and type "sudo knoppix-installer" to launch the
> > installation script.
>
> Kyle-
>
> Do you think Knoppix is a good option for a long-term stable
> desktop installation?
>
> I personally don't think it is -- unless the user really likes to get
> "down and dirty" with the system.
>
> When you're pulling from Debian Unstable, and especially from
> Experimental and unofficial sources, the user has too great of chance
> of ending up with a quirky or outright busted system just from doing an
> 'apt-get upgrade'
>
> Just my opinion -- but I haven't written any books on Knoppix lately ;-)
>

> -troy

I generally agree with you. While the hard drive install option has existed
in Knoppix for some time and keeps getting improvements, it's my opinion
that Klaus doesn't create Knoppix with that use in mind but has allowed the
tool on the disk for those who do want to try it out. The tool was written
and has always been maintained by someone else, and if Klaus wanted Knoppix
to be installed to the hard drive, I think he would have standardized on
either Debian testing or Unstable.

That having been said, a Knoppix install can be a good long-term solution
if you take a few steps to "de-Knoppix" it. If you do plan on installing
Knoppix to the hard drive, I think you should do the "Debian" install,
then immediately dist-upgrade to Debian unstable and remove the
experimental repository.  At that point you have enough of a "Debian
Sid" installation that you should be okay for long-term use.

An easier method in my opinion, if you plan on long-term use, is to try a
Knoppix-based distribution called Kanotix (http://kanotix.com) that is
based completely on Debian sid and is more "pure Debian" than Knoppix is.
Or you could also try Ubuntu, although its installer is a bit less
"user-friendly" IMO than Knoppix because it basically uses the Debian
installer (the partitioning tool in particular could seem dodgy to
newcomers). Either of these two distros would make future upgrades less
tricky.

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President