[NBLUG/talk] Linux for my grand kid's computer

Jim Oser oserj at OserConsulting.com
Wed Dec 15 07:28:55 PST 2004

Our high school sophomore boy and our 8th grade girl love their Apple
PowerBooks. They make movies with iMovie and iDvd , listen to iTunes,
use iChat for instance messaging, browse the web, use Microsoft Office,
and get virus free emails.

If they wanted to they could install the fink fink.sourceforge.net  and
easily run Open Source software.

If money is no object, I would buy your grandkids a Mac ! If your time
is worth anything, I would buy them a Mac, because if you get them a
Linux machine there will be a steep learning curve. You will also need
to explain to them why they can't simply attach a printer, a camera, or
use instant messaging. Sure they can do these things with Linux, but it
is not simple. They have not taken Mark Street's Linux Administration.

At lunch time, visit the Apple store in Corte Madera
http://www.apple.com/retail/cortemadera/week/20041212.html or
Marin Mac Shop, 1031 C St, San Rafael, CA, 94901, 415-459-9380

O'Reilly employees are also using Mac OS X. Mac OS X has the advantages
of Linux plus has a great Apple GUI.

You may also want to visit MacWorld, the second week of January at the
Moscone Center, http://www.macworldexpo.com/live/20/events/20SFO05A

Jim Oser
Oser Computer Solutions
113 Santa Maria Drive