[NBLUG/talk] hard drive death, filesystem types

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Fri Dec 17 09:50:48 PST 2004

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 09:40:36AM -0800, Bob Blick wrote:

> > Easiest, of course, would be to dd the entire partition to another disk
> > and
> > then check it on that.  This also protects your data if the problem with
> > the
> > drive is the type that spreads.
>
> I broke down and ordered a 300 gig (Seagate) drive last night, and will
> not attempt anything until it arrives. The bad drive is less than 6 months
> old.
>
> > Unfortunately, the simple reality is that when blocks on a drive fail, any
> > data on those blocks is lost.  Whether or not the data on still good
> > blocks
> > can be recovered usefully is hit-or-miss with any filesystem.
>
> I think that's why I'm so depressed!
>
> Thanks for everyone's help. I'll report back when I've tried all the spells.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Bob

Like some other people have mentioned, you may only have one good shot at
this (or at least the first time you will recover the most), so I highly
recommend the first thing you do is to boot up a recovery CD and try
dd_rhelp + dd_rescue on the drive before you do anything else, since you
can play with the drive image on another drive as much as you want
afterwards.

If you have any specific questions on it once the drive arrives, you can
email me off list and I'll help out w/ the commands.

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President
kyle at nblug.org