[NBLUG/talk] hard drive death, filesystem types

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Fri Dec 17 10:28:55 PST 2004

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 11:20:03PM -0800, Scott Doty wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 10:44:44PM -0800, Kyle Rankin wrote:
> > Like Troy said, I cover step-by-step how to use dd_rescue with Knoppix in
> > my book, but I also blogged about it so you can read about it here:
> >
> > http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/5205
>
> Very snazzy!  That's a tool we'll have to get and have handy for
> emergencies.
>
> Just wanted to mention that dd can be made to skip errors -- from the man
> page:
>
>        noerror
>               continue after read errors
>
> Hope you guys have a Happy Holidays! :)
>
>  -Scott

Of course the problem is that it does just that, skips the errors, so
apparently if you run that on a damaged drive, it won't replace the error
section with a zero, it will just skip it, so you end up with an image that
is potentially smaller than your actual partition.

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President
kyle at nblug.org