[NBLUG/talk] Setting up Eclipse IDE

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Fri Dec 17 21:51:39 PST 2004

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 08:34:46PM -0800, Mark Street wrote:
> Has anyone installed and setup Eclipse IDE on Linux?  Any advice
> before we jump in?

Not sure what you mean there.  I installed the Debian eclipse packages
and, as to be expected, it just worked.  I didn't have any problems at
all in with it, and the UI was surprisingly responsive even on my old
1.2 ghz tbird.  It pretty much worked as advertised, though I
thought the built in editor blew chunks.  Some things I found
non-intuitive, but after probably 4-6 hours fumbling around, I was
pretty comfortable and was able build stuff that pulled from a handful
of separate projects.

I think whether or not it is stable for you is going to come down to the
quality of the JRE you run it under.  I can't swear to it, but I
believe I was running Sun's 1.4jre at the time.

Being a Java programming novice, I thought Eclipse might help me get a
handle on things a little quicker and I think, in that regard, that it did
help me.  But given the types of projects that I work on (I've rarely had
to work on anything, in any language, with more than a few dozen source
files), IDE's aren't for me and I've since uninstalled it.

-troy