[NBLUG/talk] color printer recommendation needed

Andrew argonaut at softhome.net
Sun Feb 8 22:54:00 PST 2004

Jim Bianchi wrote on Sun, 8 Feb 2004 21:47:32 -0800 (PST):

> I'd like to get a color printer so as to be able to make prints
> from my digital camera. I'm using RH 8 on both systems (laptop
> & biggie). Heretofore my printers have all printed BOTH colors
> -- black and white<grin>, so I'm at a complete loss when trying
> to evaluate a color printer for use with Linux only -- I'm not
> a windoze type.
[snip]

Well, you've probably already come across
http://www.linuxpringing.org/ but I'll mention it here just in
case. Lots of compatibility and driver information there. Check
the "Suggested Printers" and "Vendor Info" links. The Epson and
HP brands, in general, get high marks. Lexmarks, because of their
low printer prices, are tempting, but you should keep in mind
that they tend to gouge you on cartridge prices, and driver
support is sketchy (except in their laser printer line). And I
hear rumors that they are now putting chips in the cartridges
which prevent you from refilling them.

Unfortunately, that's about all the help I can give you since my
only printer is a Lexmark which I've never gotten working under
Linux. Maybe someone else can speak from first-hand experience.
Good luck.

A.