[NBLUG/talk] Western Digital Raptor Drives

ShadowEyez shadoweyez at hotpop.com
Wed Feb 18 08:35:01 PST 2004

Yes!!!

I have one in my main box (running Win2K).  They are nice and fast, but
because my mobo is 3 years old, I needed a PCI-SATA card for the hard drive.
The chipset in it is from Silicon Image, SiI 3112, with two ports.  The card
is RAID 0 and RAID 1 capable (it would be nice to have two drives) and the
drive itself is very fast.

I have the 36 gig version, I have heard that there is a new 72 gig version
that is supposed to be a little quieter (uses the new fluid ball bearings)
and a little faster.  My drive is not very quiet, but not like a loud
"production" SCSI drive either.  The 2.6.X kernels do have support for the
SATA host cards like my Silicon Image, but it is considered experimental so
I did not compile it in.

Try out the drive.  I have heard they are around $150 now, but unless you
really need more than 36 gigs, its nice to have a fast drive!

ShadowEyez