[NBLUG/talk] DNS server: Do I need my own server?

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Thu Feb 19 13:36:01 PST 2004

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 01:08:00PM -0800, Mark Street wrote:
} On Thursday 19 February 2004 09:24 am, E Frank Ball wrote:
} >
} > I host half a dozen domain names from my DSL line.
}
} Same here......  I got the block of 4 static IP's from Sonic recently and
} loaded up one of the storage shelves in the garage with boxen.

I'm using just one one box and one IP address.  I use name based virtual
hosting for the web (trivial with thttpd) and virtual domains for the
email (also easy using postfix).  Works great.  Your PG&E bill must
notice all those machines running.

} > Godaddy doesn't offer DNS, many domain name registrars do.
} > One of the things to look for when shopping around.  I use
} > Godaddy only for one .us domain because the other places I
} > use don't offer .us domains.  Godaddy is cheap, but they
} > don't offer DNS or free forwarding.
}
} > Gandi.net will do DNS for free when you register with them.
}
} Hmmm, I have multiple domains with both Gandi and Godaddy.  Godaddy doesn't
} offer DNS or forwarding?  They offer hosting.  I have 3 or 4 domains from
} godaddy pointed at my DNS servers at the end of my DSL connection.  You have
} to dig a little to customize the nameserver hosts and set them to your DNS
} server.  Godaddy is kewl.

As Ben pointed out GoDaddy just started doing free DNS and free
forwarding (up to 100 email aliases).  This makes them much more
attractive now.  Gandi is 12 Euros, which is upto about $14/year.
us domains at Godaddy are $5.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com