[NBLUG/talk] Samba connection question

Troy Arnold fryman at sonic.net
Fri Feb 20 11:38:00 PST 2004

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 11:11:37AM -0800, Todd Cary wrote:
> I have Samba on my Fedora box that I use extensively to view the files
> on the Linux box via my Win 2K system...great piece of software.  What I
> have never dione is go the other way: get data from the Windoze while in
> Linux.  Let's say that I am in my home directory ( /home/todd ) and I
> want to copy a file from the Windoz bx to my home dir, what is the
> syntax?  My Windoz box is "Blue-Thunder" and I have a directory, "d:\1Tmp\".

Couple of options:
1) mount it directly
smbmount //host/share /mnt/dir -o username=nobody,password=foo

You can also add an entry in /etc/fstab to do this at boot.  Mine looks
something like:
\\dubhe\pub	/pub smbfs credentials=/etc/samba/smb.dubhe.pub, uid=troy,gid=troy 0	0

Where '/etc/samba/smb.dubhe.pub' looks like:
username = troy
password = sco_sux

I put it in a separate credentials file so the user/pass is not
readable by other users.

2) Both nautilus and konqueror support URLS of the format:
smb://host/share
You'll need to have the appropriate VFS modules installed.
  [*]
3) install one of the GUI smb browsers... But I haven't found one that
   doesn't stink.

4) Read Greenflys' autofs writeup which can be found on his tips page:
http://greenfly.org/tips/

This last is a bit more work, but well worth it IMHO.

Also, the tool 'smbclient' has a bunch of options, and presents an
ftp-like interface to smb shares.

[*] p.s., if you have the KIO-fish plugin, konq also supports browsing
directories over SSH with URLS ala:
fish://fryman@shell.sonic.net/home/f/fryman

If you've set up passwordless logins via your ssh keys, then this is
really nice.

o.k.  I'm really done now. :)

-troy