[NBLUG/talk] Attempting an "ancient hardware" install...

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Fri Feb 20 16:24:01 PST 2004

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 04:00:28PM -0800, Lincoln Peters wrote:
} On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 15:28, E Frank Ball wrote:
} >
} > I can bring a SCSI CD-ROM drive tomorrow, but it doesn't
} > have the SCSI port that looks like a parallel port (25
} > pins?).  It's the 50 pin (SCSI II ?).  There are probably
} > adapters to go between, but I don't have one.
}
} Is the 50-pin connector the one that looks like an elongated
} "Centronics" port (usually found on printers that connect to a parallel
} port)?  If so, I think I already have such an adapter.

No that's the kind of connector you find on a rear panel.  This is like
an enlongated IDE connector with 50 pins instead of 34.  The cable that
plugs into it is a ribbon cable.  This is an internal drive.

} Do you know if that CD-ROM drive can read CD-RW's?  I'd like to use
} CD-RW's if possible, since I don't know if this will work or not, but
} since CD-R's are so cheap, it's not a big deal.

I have no idea.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com