[NBLUG/talk] Totally OT, a physics puzzle...

Meg Holden megymonster at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 8 19:25:02 PST 2004

I also don't have enough physic skills to show exactly what would
happen, and agree that there is not enough information given, as Eric
pointed out, however I'm inclined to agree that in general the bridge
would not survive such a wave, for all the reasons already given. Also
consider that a wave of that size would most likely originate outside
the Bay, and most likely wider than the entrance to the bay.  When it
comes to the coast, the much of the water is going to take the path of
least resistance, ie into the bay, instead of hitting land.  This means
that the wave will be hitting the bridge with much more force than it
originally had outside, due to this tunneling effect it will
experience.  Just a little thought I'd throw in there.