[NBLUG/talk] SSH authenticating problem with NIS

sms at sonic.net sms at sonic.net
Mon Jan 12 10:42:00 PST 2004

> I have found serveral articls regarding this on google, but no answers.
> The problem, SSH users passwd's are not being authenticated by NIS. I am
> using RH9.0 Server and Clients. We are using standard password and
> shadow mechanism. We are not using broadcast on the clients for NIS, it
> is a direct query from the /etc/yp.conf file.
> 	I can use telnet, and NIS authenticates correctly. The problem is
> the way SSh is trying to lookup the password (at least from what I can
> tell). Any ideas?

Sorry, no quick fixes; my gut tells me that it's likely an sshd config
issue, but I ain't RHCanything, so...  <shrug>

Does SSH correctly auth users in /etc/passwd, or LDAP (i.e. for ANY other
methods than NIS, most particularly for database-services rather than for
flatfile lookups)?

<pondering>  AFAIK, the NIS files aren't supposed to be consulted directly;
maybe SSH requires NIS passwd transactions be done with the NIS services?
This'd be a "more primitive" thing for telnet -- being able to query from
the files -- and a "sophisticated" requirement of SSH.  Just a thought...

Have you run ssh -d (debug mode)?  This may give some additional info.

- Steve S.