[NBLUG/talk] Wireless PC cards

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Wed Jul 14 16:02:48 PDT 2004

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 03:49:28PM -0700, A'fish'ionado wrote:
> This page seems to give a pretty optimistic view of
> wireless PCMCIA cards under SuSE:
>
> http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2002/11/wavelan.html
>
> "Most wireless LAN PCI and PCMCIA cards are supported
> by SuSE Linux."
>
> Hmm. That didn't seem to be what I was hearing around
> here. Then again, how many of you are running wireless
> cards under SuSE?
>
> I don't suppose that the rest of you just happen to be
> using distros that don't have the hardware support
> SuSE does...?
>
> William
> (Who has found it very easy to get conflicting advice
> on the 'net.)

While some threads [1] have made it seem like it's really hard to get any
wireless card working on Linux, as I and others have said [2] it's really
not too difficult, and lots of 802.11b cards are supported. It's just a
matter, like with ANY hardware purchase, to do a bit of research on the
hardware and make sure it's compatible.

Really, you could even borrow a friend's card/laptop and boot knoppix and
see if it works. That's a pretty good gauge of Linux compatibility.

[1] http://nblug.org/pipermail/talk/2004-June/007553.html
[2] http://nblug.org/pipermail/talk/2004-June/007595.html

--
Kyle Rankin