[NBLUG/talk] Re: Enlightenment

A'fish'ionado afishionado1 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 30 14:17:48 PDT 2004

> ~   If you're looking to run Enlightenment on SuSE,
the > easy way to do
> it is to have the Professional edition
> (Enlightenment is included in
> the distro),

I have SuSE 9.0 Professional ... But I'm in the dorm
room at Berkeley with my laptop, and my SuSE CDs are
at home in Santa Rosa. :-P

I'm not sure whether I'm ready to replace KDE with
Enlightenment on the desktop at home, but on this
laptop with 256Mb, I'd say it's a step up over WM. :-)
(Yes, KDE runs on it, but swaps a little more often
than I like once I start any serious multitasking.)
Minimizing windows in WM is a little clunky IMHO, and
having a list of open windows appear when I press
alt-tab is great. And, I just love making my windows'
title bars see-through. :-)

I installed the OS X and lcars themes, and found them
awkward to use, but I'm keeping them handy for when I
run into Mac-heads or Trekkies, hehehe. (I'm now using
the "Blue Steel" theme.)

Two issues that Google hasn't resolved for me:

I want Gkrellm to start when I open Enlightenment. I
absolutely can't find a startup script to put it in.
I've been eyeing some of the tweaks to add session
management to Enlightenment (virtually the only
feature I miss from WM), though, and I may eventually
use that instead.

After oogling all the Enlightenment screenshots, I now
want to replace Xterm with Eterm. :-) Eterm depends on
libfreetype.so.2; when I try to install that, I get a
conflict with libfreetype.so.6. SO, I apparently have
a newer version of the library already installed, but
Eterm doesn't recognize it, and there seems to be a
problem with installing multiple versions of it. Any
suggestions? I'm a little leery of just ripping out a
library to replace it with an older version, to say
the least.

William

=====
(See http://www.geekcode.com/geek.html)