[NBLUG/talk] ADMTEK wireless Driver Update, sort of...

Justin Thiessen thiessen at sonic.net
Mon Jun 7 09:51:50 PDT 2004

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 10:29:15AM -0700, Dave Sisley wrote:
> Hey, everybody:
>
> As noted in my previous posts, I am trying to get my wireless network
> back on line using an experimental driver for my ADMTEK wireless pci
> card.
>
> I've been corresponding a bit with the maintainer of the card who has
> been cranking out updates every couple of days or so (busy guy!).
>
> The latest version does not cause a kernel panic, but that may simply
> be because I am not loading it automatically at boot.  When I'm ready
> to try it out, I load it with 'modprobe adm8211'.  For the last few
> versions, that seems to work ok - the module is loaded although the
> machine becomes a little jerky.  When I load the latest module,
> however, the machine is locking up completely.
>
> I am going to shoot the driver's maintainer an email about that, but
> my question for the group is:
>
> Is there a way to unlock the machine without shutting down the machine
> and then turning it back on?  It's locked up in the sense that I can't
> use the mouse, and none of the keyboard combinations I try have any
> effect. I have to press and hold the power button until the machine
> turns off and then reboot.  During reboot I'm asked to run a file
> system check (which I do, if I'm not in a big hurry).

Hi,

Well, if you have another ethernet connection, then you might be able
to ssh in and restart the console services...

If you don't have another ethernet connection on the system, you can
possibly still use a serial connection with a null-modem cable and
connect from another computer.

In either case, if you were running X at the time the system appeared
to lock up, you can kill X and likely get your console back.  Unloading
the ADMTEK driver module is probably a good idea as well(!)  Otherwise you
may still have to reboot the system, but at least you can do so properly.
(i.e., /sbin/init 6)

Justin