[NBLUG/talk] Which Distro.

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Wed Jun 9 09:56:47 PDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 09:41:55AM -0700, Steve Johnson wrote:
}
} I considered testing, which is what I run at home as my desktop
} box, and dev box.. But I also noticed it patches alot, and I have had
} things break, granted simple config changes fixed it =) but, its a hassel.

There are a lot of upgrades still in testing.  The only thing I've
broken is X windows and my automounter, which wouldn't matter on a
server, but you never know.

} I'm running debian stable on a clients network, and it runs
} great, thats the main reason I am leaning towards it.  But, like I
} said I had to compile some stuff by hand..  Mainly sendmail.. we
} were/are using a spam filter that required a newer version of sendmail for
} it to work.  But other than that, it runs like a champ.

You can "apt-get -t testing install sendmail" to upgrade just sendmail
to testing (and whatever dependencies it needs).  That's the sort of
thing I've been doing on my server that runs stable.  I wanted the rate
limiting feature of the newer ntp server so I upgraded it to testing.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com