[NBLUG/talk] Installing WiFi cards

Bryce Hardy cygnia at sonic.net
Sun Jun 13 19:21:37 PDT 2004

On Saturday 12 June 2004 10:40 am, Lincoln Peters wrote:

> After a week-long battle with CompUSA, two hardware companies, and no
> less than eight tech support people with thick Indian accents, I have
> completely given up on WiFi.  I will now try the simple solution: pull
> Ethernet cables through the walls of my house.
>
> At first, I thought that installing a wireless network would be easier
> *and* less expensive than pulling Ethernet cables through the house.  It
> seems that I was wrong on both counts.

Have you thought about getting a wireless ethernet bridge, which is fullproof
as far as Linux compatibility is concerned? That's finally what I decided to
do, in conjunction with the help of a fellow NBLUGer (thanks again Andrew!).
Of course as you would expect, the universe being what it is, they're very
expensive compared with USB or PCI cards, at least 100 dollars and up. But no
drivers need to be loaded so it's totally platform independent.

--
Bryce Hardy (Santa Rosa, CA USA)
cygnia at sonic.net