[NBLUG/talk] quoted printable / Entourage

Troy Arnold fryman at sonic.net
Thu Jun 17 17:15:52 PDT 2004

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 04:36:44PM -0700, Eric Eisenhart wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 03:34:13PM -0700, Troy Arnold wrote:
> >  occasionally receive mail from an OSX Entourage user:
> >
> > Basically, it's quoted-printable with ISO-8859-1 and it looks like crap,
> > with quotes and apostrophes appearing to me as question marks.  I
> > usually use mutt, but it looks like crap with mozilla mail as well.
>
> You're seeing *question marks*, not =B9, =B3, =B2, etc?

Correct, I see question marks. I pasted that portion of the e-mail by
opening the mbox file directly in vim (where I see =B9 etc.)

> What terminal are you using?

$TERM=xterm
My terminal program is generally multi-gnome-terminal, but the symptoms
are the same in vanilla xterm, Eterm and even Mozilla mail.
$TERM=eterm when I use Eterm.

I was about ready to say the message was just screwed up, but I copied
the mbox to shell.sonic.net and whoa! it's fine.  My muttrc* is
virtually identical at home and at sonic.  $TERM=xterm there as well,
and I ssh'ed in from the same terminal where I ran mutt.

> > Couple of questions:
> > 1) What is the fundamental source of the problem?
>
> >From what I'm seeing, the fundamental problem is that mutt is incorrectly
> assuming it can print certain special characters and your terminal isn't
> capable.  Probably your $TERM variable is something like "xterm", but you're
> running some off-brand...
>
> > 2) Any mutt-foo or other workarounds so I can look at this without
> > blinking?
>
> 1) try a different terminal
> 2) this into your ~/.muttrc:
> set charset "us-ascii"
>
> Also try "utf-8" or even iso-8859-1.

Using us-ascii I get questions marks.
Using iso-8850-1 I get:
"nullified" becomes \263nullified\262.
using utf-8 I get:
\302\263nullified\302\262

Funky, I've never messed with different charsets, and this makes me
grateful that I'm not multi-lingual.

Thanks for the help, figuring out what's different about shell.sonic.net
should get this straight, but I'm the dinner cook tonight, so off I
go...

-troy