[NBLUG/talk] Machine Check Exception?

Troy Arnold fryman at sonic.net
Mon Jun 28 11:48:03 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 06:43:32PM -0700, Lincoln Peters wrote:

> Under the 2.4.6 kernel, it produced a kernel panic (but did not crash)
> while compiling dma.o, and I found a runaway process called "fixdep"
> that, despite even the use of "kill -9", refused to die.  Fortunately,
> I was able to switch to a different virtual console and reboot
> cleanly.
>
> I then booted from the old 2.4.18bf24 kernel that was originally
> installed and tried to compile the kernel again.  When it got to
> timer_tsc.o, it produced a kernel panic and completely locked up.  I
> had to do a hard reset.

Try to eliminate the heat factor by opening the side of the box up and
pointing a big box fan or something right at it.  If it still crashes,
it's not a heat problem.  Did you ever open it up while the system is
running to make sure that all the fans are spinning as they should ?  If
there's a North bridge fan on the mobo., it's often overlooked.

It'll be interesting to see what memtest has/had to say.

The next strenuous thing to try is to lift it high over your head and
thrust it violently downward toward a hard service.  Let go when your
hands reach their maximum velocity.  It may take a few tries to get the
desired effect.

-troy (who despite the above advice does understand the concept of
having more time than money...)