[NBLUG/talk] JRE for Linux

Johnson Leung jmlleung at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 2 15:47:01 PST 2004

Hi,

I have a problem installing JRE on my machine.

I have recently installed Red Hat Linux 9 on my Dell 400SC. I downloaded
JRE1.4.2 a few days ago and installed it today. But it doesn't seem to work.
I use Mozilla 1.2.1, and the box "Enable Java" is already checked. I also go
to the Mozilla plugins directory (usr/local/mozilla/plugins/) and issue the
following command:
ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so

I went to this web page to test it:
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.jsp

It cannot display the java plug in. When I click on the little icon, it
said:
"This page contains information of a type (application/x-java-vm) that can
only be viewed with the appropriate Plug-in."

Thanks a lot,
Johnson
P.S.: It seems that java.sun.com is down now. I tried to go there but in
vain.