[NBLUG/talk] Scanner Setup-loading module at startup.

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 4 22:05:02 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 21:39, Ross Thomas wrote:
> I'm pretty sure you'll find a file called /etc/modules
> (that's right, no extension).  It contains a list of
> modules, one per line, that are to be loaded at boot.
> Now that you have the alias set as above stick
> scsi_hostadapter in there and reboot to see if it
> works.

I think I tried it on RedHat 9, and the file did not exist (nor did any
of the init scripts pay any attention to it when I created it).  It
seems to be restricted to Debian and possibly a few other distros.

If I remember correctly, I had to hack the /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit file to
load the modules listed in /etc/modules.  Something like:

for mod in `cat /etc/modules`
do
	modprobe $mod
done

However, I switched the box to Debian/testing a few weeks later, so in
the end it didn't really matter.

--
Lincoln Peters <sampln at sbcglobal.net>