[NBLUG/talk] Debian Xfree86

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 10 20:35:02 PST 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 19:28, Meg Holden wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I installed Debian on my dell laptop and can't get X windows to start
> for the life of me.  I can run the config script, and even set
> everything to the lowest possible settings, but when I try to start it
> I get the following message:
>
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc: /usr/bin/X11/X: No such file or
> dirctory
>
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc: exec: /usr/bin/X11/X: No such file
> or dirctory
>
> anybody know what I'm supposed to do to fix this?
>
> Thanks,
> Meg

Are you using Debian/stable?  I remember that configuring XFree86 on it
was an absolute nightmare.  I found that Debian/testing and
Debian/unstable were both far easier to figure out, and so I completely
gave up on stable.

I can also assure you that, if you try to use the version of GNOME that
shipped with Debian/stable, you're in for a big disappointment (I'm not
sure about KDE).

--
Lincoln Peters <sampln at sbcglobal.net>