[NBLUG/talk] Debian Xfree86

Troy Arnold fryman at sonic.net
Thu Mar 11 10:35:01 PST 2004

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 03:13:07AM -0800, Andrew wrote:

[ snip bunch -o- good stuff ]

> To be sure, Gnome 1.4 (in Stable) ain't super spiffy, but it
> doesn't suck *too* much. It gets the job done. And it gets it
> done with less memory.

Testing is pretty close now to being the next 'Stable', I don't think
most people will have much problem with it.  If KDE 3.2 filters down
from Unstable eventually, then that could get iffy for a week or two,
but otherwise Sarge is in great shape right now.

Also, there are 'backports' (newer software packaged for Woody and/or
Sarge) available of many common packages.  They aren't part of Debian
proper but, in general, most of the backports (including Gnome, KDE and
XFree86) are well maintained.  The way to set this up is to go to
apt-get.org, search for the package you want, and add an entry for it to
your /etc/apt/sources.list.

The biggest drawback to testing is that it's the slowest of the three
main Debian branches to see security-related upgrades.  This is because
the packages must filter through Unstable first.

-troy