[NBLUG/talk] Swapping one Debian package for another

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Sat Mar 20 13:43:01 PST 2004

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 01:48:56PM -0800, Lincoln Peters wrote:
} I want to replace one installed Debian package with another package.
} The old package provides several dependencies that I would like to avoid
} breaking if at all possible.  The new package would handle all of the
} dependencies of the old package.
}
} These two packages are different versions of Freetype that have
} different names, not just different version numbers (and so apt-get
} cannot resolve them as easily as it normally would).
}
} Is there a way that I can simultaneously remove the old package and
} install the new package, so that the dependencies don't break?

I've replaced exim with postfix.  Try using dselect, selecte the
new package to install, then selecte the old package to remove, then
goto install packages.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com