[NBLUG/talk] Red Hat 8- too slow

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Sun Mar 28 11:01:02 PST 2004

On Sun, Mar 28, 2004 at 08:49:37AM -0800, Mohandas Gandhi wrote:
} Hi
} I am a real newbie to Linux.  I am running Red Hat 8 on an
} old computer ( an hp pavillion w/ pentium 232, 160 MB of
} SDRAM, and a really old ATI card).  Linux is running really
} slow, opening Open Office.org takes around 5 minutes.I tried
} running the 'top' command.
}
} Aman

OpenOffice will always be a pig on that machine.  It's a pig on my
700MHz Athlon with 384MB of RAM (about 20 seconds to start).

If you are looking for something to read excel files check
out gnumeric.  It's a spreadsheet only program and will load
in about 1/4 of the time that open office takes.

For msword check out "antiword":
http://www.winfield.demon.nl/index.html
It will convert msword to text in the blink of an eye.

For powerpoint files you are stuck.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com