[NBLUG/talk] How to uninstall mySQL? Any expert can help?

Johnson Leung jmlleung at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 30 01:11:03 PST 2004

Hi,

I am running Red Hat Linux 9. I was trying to uninstall mySQL and
re-installing it again. I tried
rpm -e MySQL-server-4.0.18.0.i386.rpm

It said there are some dependencies. So I did:
rpm -qa | grep mysql
rpm -e -nodeps MySQLxxx where MySQLxxx are the dependency modules

Now I ended up in a weird state. I cannot find mysqld_safe (but there is a
safe_mysqld). I tried
rpm -e MySQL-server-4.0.18.0.i386.rpm
It said error: package is not installed
rpm -i MySQL-server-4.0.18.0.i386.rpm
It gives me a list of "file xxx from install of MySQL-server-4.0.18-0
conflicts with file from package mysql-server-3.23.54a-11".

Please advice on how to clean it up and re-install mySQL again.

Thanks a lot,
Johnson
P.S.: I also tried to remove the SQL Database Server from the Desktop Add or
Remove Packages. It gave a Package Not Found error. It said libodbc.so.1 is
required by php-odbc.