[NBLUG/talk] Recording phone calls directly to the sound card

Bob Blick bblick at sonic.net
Wed May 19 15:34:15 PDT 2004

> But if I try to record directly to the sound card by connecting  the phone
> interface box to the sound card line or mic in, there's a huge amount of
> ongoing buzzing, and the sound quality is very low, and distant.

It sounds like the phone interface does not isolate the line/mic side from
the telephone side, so your PC is grounding the phone line.

A better interface box, with a transformer in it, should work fine.

Alternatively, you could add a transformer between the interface box and
your PC. An audio transformer, not a power transformer. You could salvage
one out of a modem.

Cheers,

Bob