[NBLUG/talk] Re: Recording phone calls directly to the sound card (Bruce Schadel)

Bruce Schadel bschadel at att.net
Thu May 20 22:49:20 PDT 2004

>> But if I try to record directly to the sound card by connecting  the phone
>> interface box to the sound card line or mic in, there's a huge amount of
>> ongoing buzzing, and the sound quality is very low, and distant.
>

>It sounds like the phone interface does not isolate the line/mic side from
>the telephone side, so your PC is grounding the phone line.
>
>A better interface box, with a transformer in it, should work fine.
>
>Alternatively, you could add a transformer between the interface box and
>your PC. An audio transformer, not a power transformer. You could salvage
>one out of a modem.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Bob

my $0.02:

Your phone line or jack may be miswired--one of the 2 wires is normally
grounded. Most phone equipment, including modems, won't care which side
is grounded, but your sound card probably DOES care as the line input is
single-ended. I've got an LED-on-a-stick from Radio Shack that plugs
into an RJ-11 jack and lights green if all is well and red if the wiring
is backwards. I don't know if they still sell it however. Try swapping
the red & green phone wires.

--newbie Bruce--